UDL Guidelines




The UDL guidelines are designed to help educators create and utilize a learning environment that benefits each unique learner. The concepts are universal and can be applied to any discipline. There are three main components that encompass the why, what, and how of learning. Each of these three domains has three levels of implementation; access, build, internalize. Finally there is a goal for each component.

As I dig deeper into the UDL guidelines I see that there are things I already do organically in my classroom. There are some things I could easily implement. And there are some that will require some study to utilize.

As an elementary school music teacher, the ‘build’ section of each category is naturally strong. Sustained effort and persistence are hallmarks of music. Continued practice that focuses on accuracy, expression, and presentation are built in expectations. Students learn music notation, hear what it sounds like, and read and play what they see on a daily basis. Language and symbols are presented and expressed in a variety of ways, reaching each unique learner. Expression and communication are addressed in multiple ways from creative works and musical performances, to technology.

There are some UDL principles under ‘Access’ that I could implement right now . For example, under engagement, I could offer more individual choice and autonomy. I could let students choose which part they want to sing or play instead of assigning it to them. When learning new material, they could choose to learn by listening, reading notation, or creating movements to help them remember the rhythms. These choices are easily accessible, require little additional prep, and cost nothing. Providing choice and autonomy might also enhance creativity in student goal setting.

One UDL area that I would like to be stronger in is under executive functions. I would like to learn how to more effectively monitor and assess student progress. It would be beneficial to identify some concrete assessment tools that will provide data and perspective around student success. These suggestions from the UDL website inspired me to consider some new strategies:


- Provide differentiated models of self-assessment strategies (e.g., role-playing, video reviews, peer feedback)

- Use templates that guide self-reflection on quality and completeness
  (Checkpoint 6.4 Enhance Capacity for Monitoring Progress, n.d.)

  

I would also like to observe how other music teachers monitor progress in their classrooms. Reaching out to my very talented colleagues is always an enlightening experience.

Another resource that I looked into was the AEM takeaways website. Their short videos provide a nice summary of UDL guidelines and practical applications. I found their insights succinct and useful. (AEM Center: AEM Takeaways, n.d.)

Overall, I have found the UDL guidelines to be applicable in many diverse educational settings. I am excited to learn more. One thing that stands out in this model is that there are a lot of strategies that are accessible without re-inventing my classroom. I can apply them to established practices in my teaching.


References

AEM Center: AEM Takeaways. (n.d.). National Center on Accessible Educational Materials. Retrieved November 3, 2023, from https://aem.cast.org/get-started/aem-takeaways

Checkpoint 6.4 Enhance capacity for monitoring progress. (n.d.). The UDL Guidelines. Retrieved November 3, 2023, from https://udlguidelines.cast.org/action-expression/executive-functions/monitoring-progress/monitoring-progress



4 comments:

  1. So cool to hear about applying the principles of UDL to other areas of the curriculum. This was enlightening. Nice work! You also brought up AEM which has an amazing amount of resources for UDL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your insights about UDL through the lens of music education. Giving your students a choice and voice in how they share their musical knowledge and ability would be a great idea to incorporate into your classroom! I also would benefit from more help in learning ways to monitor and assess my student's progress effectively. I hope you can find other teachers to observe and learn from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thank you for posting the guidelines with your blog. It really helps to be able to refer back to them while reflecting on the different things you mention in your post. I have to admit that while I familiar with much of what happens in today's schools, the area of music is a specialty that I don't know that much about. I appreciate your comments regarding how you personally use UDL in your own music instruction. Finally, I agree with you that there are many opportunities to apply UDL principles to our classrooms that don't require us to reinvent our teaching environments. Thank you for your great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindi! I appreciate you sharing the AEM takeaways website. That is a great resource!

    ReplyDelete